Sri Lanka Cricket President Accused of Betraying the Sport
Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa has made shocking allegations that Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) president Shammi Silva sent a letter to the International Cricket Council (ICC) in August 2023, accusing the Sports Ministry of undue interference in SLC’s activities. This move, Premadasa claims, paved the way for the ICC’s recent ban on Sri Lankan cricket.
The letter, which Premadasa tabled in Parliament, details five serious allegations against the Sports Ministry. These includ
- The Director of Sports unduly influenced cricket tournaments in Sri Lanka.
- The Sports Ministry secretary requested salaries be paid to SLC office-bearers.
- The Sports Minister influenced SLC to obtain permission to hold the Lanka Premier League (LPL) tournament.
- The Sports Minister influenced the drafting of the SLC Constitution.
- The draft audit report was leaked.
- Additionally, Premadasa revealed that the Sports Minister pressured SLC to contribute 20% of its funds to the National Sports Fund.
Premadasa condemned Silva’s actions, labeling them a betrayal of Sri Lanka Cricket. He demanded that Silva face consequences for his actions and called for a Parliamentary Select Committee to investigate the allegations.
Chief Government Whip Prasanna Ranatunga acknowledged the seriousness of the allegations and requested that the Speaker appoint a Parliamentary Select Committee to examine the matter thoroughly.